"Hindsight is always twenty-twenty. " Billy Wilder
"Hindsight is an exact science. " Guy Bellamy

15 January 2012

OP-ART

Hong Kong                    Image © PeteM2020
As I took this picture, my mind went briefly back to the 60’s and the Op-Art period.  That was the time of hippies, flower power, uncomfortable furniture and soft drugs. 

Victor Vasarely is usually described as the father of the genre with the other main players being Bridget Riley, Larry Poons and Richard Anuszkiewicz.  Op-Art’s best year was 1965 which saw a definitive exhibition, ‘The Responsive Eye’, at the Museum of Modern Art, New York.

Initially, most of the works were in stark black and white, but as the style matured, colour became an integral part of the art form. Repetition, pattern and chromatic tension became Op-Art’s stylistic hallmark.

I was at the time quite taken by all this. Looking today on the Internet at those early works, I feel they look somehow a little sterile and dated. However, I am not going to let that spoil some wonderful memories from my misspent youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment